Re: WG Review: General Area Dispatch (gendispatch)

I guess I wonder if streamlining the consideration of process proposals is an appropriate goal.    This is an area in which it's far easier to do harm than good, so haste doesn't seem desirable.

I also wonder if a dispatch-style group is a good way to consider such changes.   My experience with dispatch-style groups is that they're good at vetting efforts that have a limited scope of interest; I don't know how well such a group would work for a topic of widespread interest.   (ok, maybe better than discussing it all on the IETF list, but that's a low bar.)

However, given that a result of a WG is often highly determined by how the problem is defined in its charter (often inappropriately so, IMO), on balance I support the extended public debate of such charters that a WG (maybe not a dispatch-style group) could facilitate.

The other thing I wonder is whether we need to consider so many proposals for process changes that it makes sense to have a WG just for that purpose.  It seems like a more comprehensive approach would yield better results, than n WGs trying to come up with piecemeal solutions.

I would support an unhurried effort to characterize the spectrum of problems that might warrant process changes, before actually trying to form one or more WGs to solve those problems.   To me this looks more like a WG with a limited charter to thoroughly study the problem(s), than a dispatch-style WG that is created with the expectation that it's going to draft charters for other WGs.   Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but that's my immediate reaction.

Keith