Re: [rfc-i] IAB Seeks Feedback on Independent Submissions Editor

On 9/13/19 5:32 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> [0] To the extent to which one believes -- mistakenly, IMO -- that
>> traffic on the ietf@ list ought to be taken as a proxy for the views
>> of the community.
> ok.  i'll bite.  you have another suggestion that is not a closed space
> with important people breathing each others' smoke?

This is something we're going to need to deal with at some point -
some number of community participants have indicated that they do
not subscribe to ietf@ because of the volume/tone/low signal-to-
noise ratio.  Those are people who are part of the community and
not participating here.  We have never made an explicit decision
to discount the views of people who can't/won't tolerate this
mailing list but it's effectively what we're doing, I think.

I don't know if that's the problem that EKR has in mind but I do
think that it's one reason that the while the views expressed here
are basically definitive, in terms of IETF process, they don't
necessarily reflect the actual views of the community.  (Maybe
someone is willing to argue that that the people who remove themselves
are randomly distributed with respect to the community but I
seriously hope not).

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore