Re: Try this: was Re: New proposal/New SOW comment period

On 9/10/2019 5:10 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood the RSOC message.
I thought they had indicated that they were NOT trying to hire an RSE as defined by RFC 6635 and its details.  Rather, as I understood them, they were hiring someone in a temporary capacity (explicitly NOT an acting RSE) to keep the series running while the community decides what it wants.

Hi Joel -

I found/find the RSOC message somewhat mixed.  On one hand we have what was in the emails (from Ted and the RSOC) and the pre-amble to the SOW that says "temporary, non-RSE" and then there's the experience and deliverables in the draft SOW which have no more than a playing card's thickness difference from the deliverables in the SOW under which Heather was hired.  As far as I can tell (IMHO) RSOC's draft SOW mostly takes away the authorities of the RSE while leaving most if not all of the responsibilities.   I did ask how these two positions differed and which responsibilities should be removed to make the difference clear - Sarah asked me to propose text, so I did albeit not in the way she might have expected.

  I re-wrote that SOW - especially the preamble - to reflect a more acting RSE model which made sure that there was an identified "responsible person" for all of the current RSE responsiblities. If the RSOC and the IAB want something that's distinctly not an acting RSE, they're probably going to need a substantially different SOW and a much more constrained set of responsibilities/deliverables as well as an explanation of who gets the authority and responsibility over the remaining set (if any).

I clipped out the rest of your text as it applies equally well to arguing for/against a 6635 centric model and I want to think about it a bit more.

later, Mike