Re: Agenda Denial Was: tone policing

On 9/10/19 5:23 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

You seem to be assigning a bad motive to anyone who wants to improve
the atmosphere for discussion within the IETF by stating "tone policing"
is only used as a way to do "agenda denial".

No, I am limiting the use of the term 'tone policing' to only apply it to circumstances where the intention is malicious.

A request for civility is fine as long as it is not then weaponized to say, 'and since this issue was raised improperly, it can never be raised' or if it is clearly being raised in bad faith. For example when a political candidate who attacks their opponents by attaching epithets 'lying', 'sleepy', etc. then bemoans the uncivil treatment they receive.

The term 'tone policing' as I understand it is exclusively used to imply a bad faith complaint of incivility or unprofessional behavior.

I'm okay with requests for civility.   Civility is always appropriate.   If someone is clearly being uncivil, sure, say something to them.

I am much less comfortable with "requests", from some appointed people or persons, that someone phrase their words differently than they did, for arbitrary reasons.   I believe that such pushback can cause harm (and has caused harm in IETF) even when done in good faith.

(For that matter, I presume that in most instances of "tone policing", whatever definition you choose, the policing person often believes they are acting in good faith.   So I'm not sure that "good faith" is a useful criterion for determining when such pushback is ok - it's as subjective as anything else.)

There are many factors that deter people from participation in IETF.   To me it makes sense to look at all of those factors and try to measure them, and try to develop a strategy that encourages wider participation from the entire spectrum of technically qualified individuals, and to educate less qualified individuals.   What doesn't make sense to me is to presume that such deterrence is due to a single factor, or to only address a single factor, or to presume that there are groups of technically qualified individuals who should be deterred.

Keith