Re: Agenda Denial Was: tone policing

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

It might be more helpful to consider Keith's original point in terms of agenda denial which is a tactic that is used to avoid discussion of topics that a party knows
they will lose if they get to the facts.

You seem to be assigning a bad motive to anyone who wants to improve
the atmosphere for discussion within the IETF by stating "tone policing"
is only used as a way to do "agenda denial".

However, what we were discussing was the situation where hostile or rude
participation lead to people (especially newcomers) to avoid participation
alltogether. That would seem _more_ of an "agenda denial" item that the
one particular and very specific abuse point that you raise.

Furthermore, your issue which would be a moderator abusing their power
to suppress factual discussions on topics would be reasonably easy to
proof to the ombudspeople. One would expect from a WG chair that you
would be given a chance to refuse your email content without the - by
the moderator considered - unneccessarilly hostile tone. And again,
this did happen to me two weeks ago and while I did think my message
was fine, it was also very easy to just rewrite my message to be less
inflamatory and less hostile.

Tone policing is an agenda denial strategy.

"could be abused for" would be a better phrasing than "is", unless you
would believe all of us who are asking for an improved atmosphere at
IETF discussions all have a hidden agenda. I don't think you actually
think that.

But so is jamming a conversation with irrelevant and repetitive statements.

Which can also be resolved by messages from the WG chair to improve the
tone and/or moderation if it does not change, followed by a possible
appeal via the ombudspeople.

Tone policing is the specific strategy of saying that because something was raised in the wrong way, it cannot ever be raised.

Not at all. It is a way of asking the participant to see if they can
rewrite their message so it contains the same valuable content without
the unneeded negative wordings that would have a negative impact on
the willingness of other people to remain in the disuccion (or in the
IETF completely).

Paul