Re: tone policing

"    - If you are caught in an argument, keep the discussion focused on
       issues rather than the personalities involved."

RFC1855, October 1995. I don't think there is anything new about avoiding personal attacks. However, I agree that the subjective threshold may have moved.

 From a message on a public list in 1996:

"You are consistently demonstrating you have absolutely no clue of the issues and while mildly amusing, this is beginning to get tiresome."

Was that OK in 1996? Would it be OK in 2019?

  If that was the only message I don't think it would be OK. It might've been tolerated
in 1996.

  Thing is, we're a consensus-based organization and RFC 7282 gives a good standard that it is reached when all issues have been addressed, not accommodated. So if the recipient of this email had raised a number of issues, let's say each one was individually clueless, and they were all addressed in a manner that was not a personal attack then if that person again raised the issues (the "constantly demonstrating" part) then I'd say that remark is acceptable. It's basically telling the person that it's time to pack it in and move on.

  So let's say my premise is correct, that this person's serial cluelessness resulted in a bunch of individual issues raised and addressed yet still repeated these clueless issues. It would be A Bad Thing (tm), IMO, if the SAA stepped in and reprimanded the person who sent an email that contained that sentence. If, on the other hand, this was the first attempt at
engaging then it's not right.

  Speech is too contextual for cut-and-dry rules, especially speech in email.

  regards,

  Dan.

Regards
    Brian