Re: tone policing

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, at 09:20, Dan Harkins wrote:

  Hi Joel,

On 9/9/19 3:43 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> Dan, you asked for specific examples of speech whose acceptability has
> changed.
>
> A clear and simple example is personal attacks.  It is no longer
> acceptable (or at least, we try to make it impossible) to respond to
> an argument by saying "you do not know what you are talking about, so
> we should ignore your input."  Other even more extreme and personal
> comments were once accepted in this community.   they are not accepted
> any longer.

  I witnessed someone at the mic tell a presenter that his was the
worst idea
in the history of the IETF. That's not really acceptable but it was also
way back
in the 20th century.

I last saw something like that at the BIMI BOF in Prague at IETF104.  Not quite "the worst idea in the history of the IETF", but a very strong and emotional "this is a horribly bad idea and I strongly oppose the IETF doing any work in this area and I will fight you to the death and die on this hill".

And I'm glad people can say that about ideas.  I disagree on this specific topic, but I do think the IETF needs the ability to say "not everything is a good idea"!

I didn't take notes about who said that, which is probably a good thing :)  I took notes during that session, so I know the concepts raised, but I didn't note who raised all of them.

I haven't heard that kind of talk in 2 decades.
Admittedly
I tend to hang out with a small group of people and probably missed some
egregious
behavior but I don't think personal attacks have ever been OK.

But it wasn't "you're bad people", it was "this is a bad idea".  Keeping that distinction is 100% a good thing.

I had a good chat with the proponents of BIMI afterwards, and they were not dissuaded by their experience, which is good - but I can imagine it would have turned away people who weren't prepared for being told so forcefully that their idea was awful.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  brong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx