Re: Recent threads concerning sergeants-at-arms

Hiya,

On 03/09/2019 23:43, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 9/3/19 5:44 PM, john heasley wrote:
>
>> Perhaps "a polite and considerate environment," is a more accurate
>> description of the intention.  Respect is different and can not be
>> commanded nor is it automatic, it must be earned.  IMO.
>
> I respectfully disagree.

Heh - I'm gonna both agree and disagree:-)

> Politeness, on the other hand, consists of arbitrary and often
> conflicting social conditions.   It's possible to be both perfectly
> polite and scathingly disrespectful at the same time.

Right. I agree that being polite is not really a goal, but rather
being respectful of people as people, (not of people as current
role-players nor of the current organisational structure). Turns
out that being polite (or, even better, nice, friendly) almost
all the time is a fairly good plan for demonstrating respect for
people though.

As it happens, in my locale, swearing is considered punctuation,
so actually being nice while at the same time appearing polite to
people from certain other locales can be tricky:-)

> Ideally, IETF would establish its own well-defined social conventions,

Yeah, there I totally disagree. That seems fantastical nonsense.
The IETF is neither a cult nor a centuries old tradition... yet;-)

Cheers,
S.