Re: Recent threads concerning sergeants-at-arms

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 2:45 PM john heasley <heas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 10:02:19AM +0100, Stephen Farrell:
> On 03/09/2019 02:51, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> > a firmer commitment to building a respectful environment
>
> I've two quibbles with how you expressed that.
>
> I think we want an environment where we are all respectful
> of the people participating (or not participating) in the
> IETF, but we explicitly do not want participants to be
> overly respectful of the (current) organisational structures,

> Secondly, we also do not want IETF participants to be
> shy criticising what they consider technically bad ideas.

Perhaps "a polite and considerate environment," is a more accurate
description of the intention.  Respect is different and can not be
commanded nor is it automatic, it must be earned.  IMO.

How much respect should BGP accord?

thanks,
Rob