Re: Recent threads concerning sergeants-at-arms

Eric Rescorla wrote:

We have a system which incorporates a lot of points of escalation for bad
decisions (appeals, the main ietf list, plenaries, recalls),

Are you saying escalation can not be done against good decisions?

> and many of
those mechanisms have low thresholds for activation. If every action by
leadership (and for the sake of this discussion I'm including the SAA in
leadership) is escalated, the system will quickly grind to a halt.

It merely means that critical decisions, such as restriction of posting,
should be decided very rarely with high thresholds.

What
keeps it running even as smoothly as it does is that people mostly adhere
to the norm of escalating only when really necessary.

Are you saying people sentenced to death should rarely appeal because
most judges and juries make good decisions?

If not, it merely means death sentence should be issued only when
really necessary.

							Masataka Ohta