Re: v3 format rollout schedule

On 28.08.2019 19:31, Paul Hoffman wrote:
On 28 Aug 2019, at 10:17, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

Julian, are you really asking that we stop the rollout of v3, have an
extended working group process to design a new v3, and then develop
tools, etc. for that?

I read Julian's message quite differently. I believe he is asking that
every change from what the community agreed to in RFC 7991 be again
discussed in the community. That is in contrast to what is happening

Well. The community did not agree on RFC 7991 - the IAB did.

Even the design group consensus was weak on certain points. Some of the
changes in the implementation are actually in these areas, and with some
of them I'm actually very happy.

currently, which is that one developer is making many changes to RFC
7991 and those changes will be implemented in the canonical format
without community discussion.

Yes, that's a problem.

I think the community would be very unhappy at the delay.

The community would indeed be very unhappy about a delay due to starting
over. No one has asked the community if a delay to vet just the changes
to the community's agreement on RFC 7991 would be OK.

Exactly.

Also, the only reason why we are facing a potential delay right now is
because (a) it took ages to start the development after the specs were
done (in Summer 2016), and (b) we did not took care of the spec
revisions in time.

Best regards, Julian