Re: Improving reading of drafts and other documents

Le 13/08/2019 à 21:13, Robert Moskowitz a écrit :
This is perhaps a different topic, but something that I would like to
 share.

How often are you, like me, going up and down in a draft or rfc to
look at and find things.  Lots of scrolling around perhaps like me.

After my accident, with my right arm in a sling and my right hand
close to useless, I needed an alternative to a mouse with a little
scroll wheel.

I asked on the Fedora user list, as I am a long time Fedora user (switched my notebook from CentOS to Fedora6 and since then CentOS is
 servers only and Fedora my dayly adventure).  A number of cohorts on
the list recommended an optical trackball with a scrolling wheel.
Not only did this make it possible for me to work left-handed, but I
continue to use it left-handed and keep my right hand on the
keyboard.

A scrolling wheel (~7cm OD) makes moving up and down in a doc in any
app very quick and very low stress.

It does not travel well, but here at my desk, it makes a considerable
 improvement to my frequent reading of docs and messages.

I am not going to 'sell' any particular brand or model.  There are a
 number to choose from....

Take care, all.

I would consider here two things.

One is indeed the use of the trackball.  It is a good thing even though
it adds a little bit of strain on the thumb muscles on hand.  Additional
support for hand may be necessary to avoid that the thumb shakes.  Also,
logitech put a vertical mouse on the market recently, whose scroll wheel
is easier to action, in a more natural manner, although probably still
not appropriate when right hand is hardly usable.  Still in this
direction, one could consider the use of smart pens.  A smart pen can
scroll easily with left hand, although the selection of words needs some
exactitude, which is typically missing from left hand.

The other thing I would consider seriously is to reduce the quantity of
things to search.  Just search in brain memory and, if not found, maybe
it is not worth considering.  It is not because the web has a huge book
that one needs to access it all.  And there will always be important
information somewhere that any search will not find.  In this sense,
then start to just write like on a typewriter.  Just type with the
fingers of the left hand.  If something needs to be searched before
writing, then write 'modulo the information that could exist elsewhere
and that I dont know'.

Alex

Bob