Re: Internationalization

Hi John,
At 09:11 AM 24-07-2019, John C Klensin wrote:
The IETF has a so-called internationalization ("i18n") problem.
One version of that problem is that we have general consensus
that the isssues are important if we care about a global
Internet serving a very broad range of people ... and most of us
seem to believe that.  A BoF was held here a year ago.  It
concluded that a directorate would help move issues and
documents forward.  It has, but not much. Getting document
reviews there has been painful; getting the real interactions
among people with multiple types of expertise (absolutely
critical for this work because  there isn't anyone knows who
quite enough by themselves) even more difficult.  I hope we will
still be able to move a few clarifying documents forward, but
more fundamental work eems impossible.

There were two directorate reviews over the last seven months. My guess is that it is unlikely that the directorate will achieve significant results in the short term.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy