Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

On Jul 27, 2019, at 4:25 PM, Rob Sayre <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think one issue is that some people find IETF meetings fun. That's going to be hard to quantify. I'm sure some people really like them, and others totally loath them.

Indeed.   I certainly love seeing everybody.   But I don’t need to do it to the point of exhaustion, which is how it always is after two days of hackathon (which are always useful) and four days of meetings (which mostly aren’t).   We could get much the same benefit by meeting for three days four times a year and not demanding that /everybody/ show up.  I tend to agree with Keith that it actually makes a lot of sense to make at least some of our trips long trips, to maximize exposure for people who can’t travel.  E.g., imagine if we had four IETFs at which we had 250-500 attendees each.   Smaller venues means easier to run.   The “working group management” part of the process would be forced online, because there’d be no way to replicate what we currently do with this schedule.   But we’d still get the “fun” and the “hallway conversation” that we value.   And I think we’d do better doing working group meetings online-only.

What would we do during these meetings?  I think probably we’d do an extended HotRFC format, with breakout discussions, and hackathon the whole time.   We’d want to make remote participation first-class, not second-class.

This is not a serious proposal, so please don’t microanalyze it—I’m just trying to point out that the future of a smaller IETF carbon footprint can and should be better, not worse, than what we have now.