Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:43 Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 2019-07-26 14:30, Richard Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 00:05 Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxx
> <mailto:leifj@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     > I completely agree.  This should be treated as a search, not
>     writing an RFP and see who applies.
>
>     Thats absolutely right - people & community over process!
>

> This seems ironic, given how focused this thread has been on process.
> The process (RFP vs search) doesn’t matter — either way we need to get
> the best person for the role.
>
> To put it in contrast to Klensin’s comment at the plenary — just because
> someone is engaged as a contractor doesn’t make them a bag of nails.

Richard,

That is not what "people over process" means.

What I mean is this: you find the right person for the job and then you
figure out how to get them into the position to do the job.

Maybe I should have said "people before process".

        Cheers Leif

You say this as if the right person just appears out of thin air.  There’s always a process to find the right person, whether that’s posting a job description and collecting CVs or posting an RFP and collecting RFP responses.

The only way you find the right person without a process is to pick someone you already know.  It would be irresponsible of this community to limit ourselves in that way.

—Richard