Re: Energy saving as an IETF goal

Le 26/07/2019 à 09:53, mohamed.boucadair@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Hi Alvaro, all,

Agree.

We used to have a problem statement for what we called at that time PANET (Power-Aware NETworking):

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-panet-problem-statement-03

The questions raised in Section 4 of that draft are still interesting ones (including the potential implications on network operations).

FWIW, other I-Ds were edited at that time. I can cite for example:

* draft-zhang-panet-use-cases: Use Cases for Power-Aware Networks

* draft-dong-panet-requirement: Requirements for Power Aware Network

* draft-mjsraman-panet-bgp-power-path: Reducing Power Consumption using BGP path selection

* draft-mjsraman-panet-intra-as-psp-te-leak: Building power shortest inter-Area TE LSPs using pre-computed paths

Some of the documents were already presented in rtgwg and eman wgs. The outcome of these discussion at that time is that this is more a research area.

Additionally,

We wrote and implemented an I-D about IPv6 vs IPv4 consumption in smartphone:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-v6ops-ipv6-power-ipv4-00

We wrote, implemented and protected an I-D about an Energy Metric for IPv6 links:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281272590_Energy_Metric_for_IPv6_Links
(this was also an experiment of IPRing an Internet Draft without publishing it at IETF)

Alex

Cheers,

Med