Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

Thanks for writing this up, Eliot! I strongly agree that we need to cut down on the travel-intensity of IETF participation. One of the great promises of the Internet is the ability to collaborate at a distance. As the IETF, it is literally our job to make this work well.

We're already doing fairly well. All WGs are teleconferenced, connectivity at the venue is solid, AV is extremely well managed, and the meeting leaders do an excellent job of calling on people in the teleconference queue. Meetecho is good software.

But there are still problem areas. For instance, it seems like there's not an easy way to teleconference side meetings. And we need to plan for a change in funding model as participation moves away from in-person.

There's another way we can improve things without waiting for research or a new WG: Just don't go. I blogged about this last week: https://jacob.hoffman-andrews.com/README/2019/07/19/i-will-not-attend.html. I'm pledging not to fly to conferences, including IETF. I ask you all to do the same. Along the way we'll figure out what needs to be fixed, and we'll fix it.