Re: Energy saving as an IETF goal

There was some work in Melbourne Uni (or monash) on the energy
implications of on-card and off-card routing. If its on-card, it
passes through an FPGA path which may be both faster and cheaper
energy than the core CPU. if the core cpu wakes up on complex DPI or
routing logic it invokes L2 and working-set and so goes into core
power and memory bus cost.

So, switching-vs-routing and on-card and off-card and in-card fastpath
absolutely affect power cost in the device.

Is this all L0 or L-1? No. the upper layer routing architecture and
use of out of order or un-ordered IPv6 headers affects on-card and
in-core routing outcomes. EH means you cost more work to route.

-G