Re: [secdir] Secdir early partial review of draft-ietf-netconf-crypto-types-10

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:57 PM Rifaat Shekh-Yusef via Datatracker
<noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Review is partially done. Another assignment may be needed to complete it.
>
> Reviewer: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef
> Review result: Not Ready
>
> There is the open issue of the proper structure of this YANG model, which was
> discussed with the security ADs and IESG, and still to be discussed with IANA.
>

> Meanwhile, I have the following comments:
>
> Page 6, hash-algorithm_t
> Why would you include SHA1 and indicate that it is obsolete? why not just drop it?
>
> Page 8, hash-algorithm-t
> Why would the default be 0, i.e. NONE?
> I think you should select a minimum algorithm that would be considered acceptable as the default.

Along those lines why is RSA-1024 in there? The asymmetric algorithm
doesn't differentiate between encryption and signing or other more
exotic things, which I guess is defensible but raises some potential
gotchas. We also have an IANA registry for AEAD schemes: why not use
that? This would have avoided some omissions such as AES-SIV mode.

Lastly one nit: it's elliptic curve not elliptical curve.