Re: Things that used to be clear (was Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxx> wrote:
    > I was here when MSFT suddenly announced that a particular draft of
    > pkinit was going to get shipped in Active Directory krb and that was
    > that. Would we have gotten further down the road of practical interop
    > for asymmetric key authn in kerberos had we use the same pattern of
    > work as TLS 1.3 did? Maybe we're just better at this now? I doubt it.

    > I do know that for every success story there is a case of a WGs killed
    > by a big actor who decides it is no longer going to play ball... some
    > very recently.

Thank you for bringing up additional places where we have had pain.

    > You can lead the horse to water but you can't force it to drink
    > but to what extent is flexibility wrt the publication process enabling
    > this behaviour?

My preference is the current (unfortunately slow) behaviour.

Among a tightly knit group (like QUIC), I don't think we need any formal
marker.  In the ANIMA WG, we have the GRASP protocol, in RFC-editor queue for
500+ days, because of MISREFs.  That's a pretty strong formal marker.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [