Re: Things that used to be clear (was Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> and your description of how tls did this with 1.3, 'marked' versions of
    >> internet-drafts, seemed to work well.  and those with colder feet could
    >> wait for the rfc.  but i note that the triel implementations seemed not
    >> to be deployed in production until the ietf sausage was made.

    > I don't want to debate the precise meaning of production, but what I will
    > say is that at in the case of TLS 1.3, we had pre-draft versions on in
    > Release
    > versions of Chrome and Firefox and serving live domains at Cloudflare
    > (and I think Facebook and Google, but I'd have to check my notes). This
    > was actually essential to finding problems because there are environments
    > which will not run prerelease software.

I agree how valuable it was.

But, the parties involved all understood (in a deep way, up to product
managers, I expect) that there might be incompatible changes.

I have been through protocols with obvious flaws waiting for a zero-day bugs
where I could not get a fix in ID-07 because "it's been deployed".

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-