Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, Warren Kumari wrote:

TL;DR: Being able to mark a specific version of an *Internet Draft* as
“stable” would often be useful. By encoding information in the name
(stable-foo-bar-00) we can do this.

Cause if its stable, then you shoulda put an RFC number on it?

The best practices for routing security (what / how to filter,
route-leak prevention, etc) change over time and it is not really
feasible to document how to e.g build route filters and then release
-bis documents quickly enough to keep up with how the operational
advice changes

Perhaps the IETF and the RFC series is not the right place for such a document?
Re-using the draft system seems wrong, and when used widely would just
cause more confusion about what it means to be a draft.

1: How does the WG decide that a document is “stable”?

When it gets an RFC number :)

Seriously though, I can point to an RFC and tell a customer or vendor
"You should do that". I cannot do that with a draft, especially if it
will change all the time.

Paul