Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

On Jul 3, 2019, at 11:14 AM, Job Snijders <job@xxxxxxx> wrote:
as we operate in public context we have to look for the smallest
common denominator, however hard that may be.

I don’t think that this is possible, and I don’t think that the IETF makes sense as just “a public space.”

The IETF is a place where work gets done.   That’s the point of the IETF.   The point of the IETF is not to be a space where people can express themselves, although ultimately of course that’s important.

The reason I shared those books with you is that I think they talk about how to solve this problem in a way that works.  They make demands both of the critic and the author.  I think that we need to make demands of the critic, and that is the point you are getting to.  But ultimately, criticism can always be taken as “not nice,” and that can’t work.

So yes, we should definitely discourage genuinely abusive behavior.  And it’s not wrong to ask Mike to tone it down.  But PR-actions are for abusive or antisocial behavior, not errors in tone.