Re: RFC Editor model

Apologies for the delay on this - I didn't actually receive this directly and so this is cut and pasted from the archive.  This is a response to Sarah's original note.  My comments inline.

Michael,

    Please see inline. I’ve snipped, because scrolling pages annoys me. :)

Thanks
Sarah

> 1) We the RSOC like Heather personally (or so the RSOC has said repeatedly).

SB// I don’t believe the RSOC has made a comment one way or another about “liking” Heather. The RSOC’s job isn’t to like someone - or dislike someone - it was to perform the IAB-delegated task of oversight. I think what you’re getting at is the part of my note that said that we wanted to bid the contract again, and that we were indicated that doing so was NOT a comment on Heather’s performance. That remains the case, as stated.

MSJ//  This was a reference to Adam's formation of the state of affairs and I agree that the RSOC hasn't indicated they like Heather.   However, why would you feel the need to make that comment if you didn't expect anyone to push back on the action?  If you expected push back, why didn't you go talk to Heather and the community first about the grand plan to redo the RFP?

> 2) Because of this the RSOC decided we needed to recompete the RSE and used the excuse of needing to tweek the RFP process - said process that could have been delayed for almost 3 years but was considered by the RSOC to be of critical importantance (why?) that the RSE just did it now.

SB// I’m trying to understand why the RSOC is being belittled like this. Help me understand. We don’t need an excuse. The IAB doesn't need an excuse to reseat the RSOC - we serve at their pleasure. The contract doesn’t need “an excuse” to be extended, or not, for up to 2 additional times after being awarded; there’s nothing in 6635 that states we need a reason. One would assume there’d be one; one might even hope there’d be one, and one should certainly expect a conversation about it. I’ve also answered the “why” portion of your question. The RSOC was concerned that the last time we went to bid, there was only 1 respondent. And while I am not trying to bring Heather into this, one of the things I deeply admired about her comportment was that she too brought this up as a point of concern. The RSOC, the IAB, indeed most of the IETF “leadership” (for lack of a better term) is comprised of volunteers. We have day jobs. Even in our day jobs when you get into executing big processes, the timeline can get away from you. Here, because there was a decent level of unknown raised by the new RSOC, we decided to run through the process early.

MSJ// I think Nico said it better than I can for the most part, but to reiterate a little bit: Simply because you *can* do something does not mean you *should* do it.  And with respect to the reseating of the RSOC - the stated goal (in the for the RSOC was continuity across NOMCOMs and IABs.  It seems the height of bad judgement to replace almost 100% of the RSOC in one go, especially without input from the RSE.

In order to provide continuity over periods longer than the NomCom
   appointment cycle [RFC3777] and assure that oversight includes
   suitable subject matter expertise, the IAB will establish a group
   that implements oversight for the IAB, the RFC Series Oversight
   Committee (RSOC).

> 3) Because of the short time to do so the RSOC grudgingly offered to extend the current RSE contract through the end of 2021 and notified her of the intent to terminate the contract at that point.

SB// “Grudgingly” - where does that characterization come from? Help me understand. We didn’t enter this lightly. We were concerned that bidding the contract again would be construed as something other than where we landed; but no one said terminate.

MSJ//From this language in your note to the IAB:

We recognize that with 2020 coming closer, the ability
    to rebid in the short term would be too narrow. Our full
    recommendation is to reup at the end of this year, and then go out
    to bid in 2021 for the 2022 timeframe.

I read that as "we'd really rather terminate the contract this December, but we're out of time, so let's give the RSE the extension and rebid it as soon as possible.".  I think I'm fair in assigning the word "grudgingly" to this:

adverb: grudgingly
  1. in a reluctant or resentful manner.
    "I grudgingly accepted his apology"

SB// No where in my language, in the RSOC language, actually, of our discussions, was the word “terminate” used. I can’t speak for other’s intents and motivations, and consensus doesn’t always mean every one agreed, but the RSOC never recommended terminating the contract.

MSJ //  I hate that people don't know definitions and can't use them properly.  The definition of terminate is "bring to an end". Your/RSOC's action set a termination date for the contract (brought the contract to an end) at the 4 year point and is no less a termination than if you'd executed the 90 day termination clause.

SB// As was previously stated at some point on this very, very long thread, there is nothing that barred the current RSE from bidding for the job again. I’m human, all members of the RSOC are human, so I accept that we might have better worded our recommendation. If that’s your position, please, send me the language, and I’d be happy to review with the RSOC and note where we can improve.

> 4) At some point near the time Heather was notified, the RSOC sent a note to the IAB indicating (2) and (3), which Heather would have read.

SB// Just to be pedantic, we did not send a note to the IAB with 2 and 3; we sent the note, which Ted has now shared as part of the IAB minutes, recommending to extend, and then rebid, to refine the process that some felt was not executed well the first time.

//MSJ:

"Heather - you're doing a fine job.  We've recommended to the IAB and the LLC that we exercise the upcoming renewal".  PERIOD.

> 5) Heather, analyzing both what has been said and not said declined the extension for the reasons she stated.

SB// Heather has sent 2 notes to the list on her reasons. If there’s any confusion here, I suggest re-reading them.

MSJ// Ditto.

> 6) Some of us are sad, and I'm not sure of who that includes.

SB// Speaking for myself, I am extremely disappointed and sad that she is leaving, particularly in this way. I am very sad she’s felt the way she has, and I sincerely hope that this doesn’t change the amount of positive and grateful feedback the community has sent in the middle of all of this, or cast a shadow on the actual work she’s delivered as RSE.

SB//We knew when we made the recommendation that this outcome was a potential risk.

MSJ// Then why didn't you mitigate your risks and the possibility of community approbation by bringing in Heather (to discuss how to implement remediation of her successor concerns) and the community into the discussion before making a recommendation? And isn't it true that your note to Heather couched this as a "decision" not a recommendation?

SB//Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills to rewind this clock and undo all of the pieces that got us here. But I’ll also state this, from my own personal perspective. The notion that the RSOC recommendation alone is what prompted Heather to not reup her contract is absurd. Evidence? Heather’s 2 notes make that clear. My own personal experience with Heather is that she has not shown herself to be impulsive; she’s also shown herself to take the longevity of the role of RSE seriously, both in her views of the RFC Series and longevity, as well as the RSE role herself. All of that leads me to say again - the notion that the RSOC made a recommendation to extend the contract 1 year and then rebid - this notion alone would be why Heather would not stay on as RSE doesn’t hold water.

MSJ// You are correct that it wasn't just the contract termination that prompted this, but the RSOC and IAB appear to be the prime movers in the other factors listed by Heather in her notes.

MSJ// And by now I think you know that the extension had to be for 2 years, not just 1.

SB// Finally, I’ve seen some wonderful points and concerns and potential next steps come out of this. I sincerely hope that we as a community can continue to make progress in that lane. Examine what went “wrong” (could be refined, changed, made better, etc), decide where we want to go, and then take the transparent steps to get there.

</2 cents>
Sarah

MSJ//   While it might be impossible for the RSOC to turn back time, I'm wondering if there are any actions by the community that might allow for a restoration of the status quo ante with respect to the RSE, but not necessarily the IAB or RSOC.  I have a number of knee jerk reactions that fall in the category of changes - but they are probably suspect because they are knee jerk reactions so I'll hold off on them for now.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, but I'm still finding it difficult to reconcile what the RSOC did with your stated reasons for doing so.

Mike

arah