Re: RFC Editor model

On Jun 25, 2019, at 7:27 AM, Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya2012@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > If others agree, the question becomes how to address it.  One option
    > raised by Sean Turner in the context of IASA2 discussions was making
    > this an employee position whose term is not limited; there are others
    > as well.

I also wondered whether an employee / unlimited term would be better.
I think that we need to think about this a bit like a tenured professor.

Echoing my question from the other thead: Why do you think that?  What properties are you trying to achieve with that arrangement?

No way. IETF is not a university. That model does not stand.

Agreed. Closer to a judgeship, which is usually just called “lifetime appointment”.

RSE doesn’t need academic freedom; they might benefit from decoupling from politics. But as we in the US see, lifetime appointment doesn’t solve that either; it just concentrates the politics to the time of appointment and wires-in biases for decades.

Joe