Re: RSE Series Editor (Redux)

Sarah B <sbanks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > could be, for both the new RSE and the community, down the road. That
    > was 5 years ago, and I think that says a lot about Heather's character
    > and her professionalism and her commitment to the role. As I've pointed
    > out, we did indeed go through a second RFP process wherein Heather was
    > awarded the contract. However, we didn't receive any other bids for the
    > role, and that was a concern to both Heather as an RSE, and the RSOC. I
    > hope the reason why is obvious.. what happens if she were (quite
    > unlikely, knock on wood) to be hit by the proverbial bus? What would we
    > do? Fast forward to the end of 2018/current, where the RSOC has been
    > largely reseated, and the new members on the RSOC are heading that we
    > only had 1 bidder. There were the typical questions around the process,
    > how did we do it, where did we post it, how long, did we advertise in
    > the right places, with the right text, etc.

Writing a good bid takes a fair bit of effort.

To have a chance to win means being relatively familiar and experienced with
the IETF and technical writing for Internet and technology content.

If you know enough to win, then you likely also know how good a job Heather
has done, and thus (unless you are starving), you are likely not to bid.

If the RSOC wants insurance against a too-low bus-count, then it will have
proactively find a way to split the job up.
(It's the four-day-work-week vs information-worker discussion)

It may be that an RFP process is the wrong way; that it should be treated
more like a hiring process, but I'm sitting on the fence on this.

It is my understanding that the RFC Production Center people are hired (or at
least, HR'ed) by AMS.   I expect the RSE has a fair bit of influence over the
hiring/firing of Publication Center people, but I did not clearly see that in
the SoW.  It seems like this group would be where we would most likely find
another RSE.  RFC6635, section 2.1.7 makes it quite clear that they are
prohibited from bidding, being employed by AMS.

In a different structure, it would be an obvious internal promotion.

If we could have a do-over, it would be to have Heather continue until the
end of 2020, and, given the new LLC situation, agree to tweak the way
the position is filled so that it can have a succession plan.

☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-