Re: RFC Series Editor Resignation

I’m not sure whether my question below should be addressed to the RSOC, IAB, IETF Exec Dir, or IETF LLC, so maybe one of them will enlighten me.

Regarding

Although the RSOC had recommended renewing the RFC Series Editor (RSE) contract for another two years, and then put the contract back out to bid in 2021 expressly for the purposes of refining our RFP process

I’m wondering what exactly it means to put a contract out to bid “to refine the RFP process”. For example, is someone bidding on the RSE contract supposed to assume they are just providing information and not actually going to be a candidate for the award? (Is that even legal?) Or, should we presume that this is an actual competition for the RSE work? I can’t understand how you can solicit bids for the RSE but say is is just to refine the process. Can someone explain this curious wording?

If the goal is to replace the current RSE, perhaps someone can explain why.

--aaron