Re: Rights in early RFCs

John,

When we set up the IETF Trust, we did what we could to get all the rights. We discussed this actively in late 2006, and I found a list of test cases that includes RFC 791-793, but not RFC 768 for some reason.

With a little research:
ISI assigned all its rights to ISOC on May 2, 2007:
https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/Confirmatory_License_Pre_1998_Executed.pdf
https://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/Confirmatory_Addendum_Post_1998_Executed.pdf

ISOC assigned all its rights in RFCs to the Trust in 2006 (April or thereabouts). I hope this was updated to cover the rights obtained from ISI, but I don't know about that since I left the Trust in March 2007. If it was overlooked, the Trust will need to fix it.

However, this certainly leaves open the question of the rights of the *authors* (or their estates) since there were no formalities in place, apart from whatever was hidden in employment contracts and USG-funded contracts. A few RFC authors signed a "Contributor Non-Exclusive Document License" to cover the pre-RFC5378 problem; I believe Steve Crocker signed one for RFC1, for example. But the Trust never followed up on this for the important early RFCs.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter