Re: privacy and IETF meetings in US

Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Then again, I think this new policy is a bit useless.  Finding a visa
    > applicant's social media is relatively simple given their names and
    > pictures (which the consulate already demands and long has, and besides,
    > they have cameras).  And it's not like consular officials can easily
    > find pseudonymous social media if it lacks easily identifiable contents
    > like pictures that can be matched by facial recognition.  Yes, it would

So, how does one prove one does not have a social media account?
And, as there are at least 7 people on facebook with the same name as me,
which one is it?  That's why they want the specific identification.

How do I prove which one is me?

    > be a violation to fail to tell them about things they can't find, so the
    > rule is still invasive, but from a practical point of view, those that
    > State might exclude aren't going to be disclosing pseudonyms that State
    > can't doxx on its own.  I.e., this is just more mostly-ineffective
    > security theater.

You are right: theatre, but it has a useful chilling effect on speech.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-