Re: virtual-only wgs?

--On Saturday, May 18, 2019 08:15 -0700 Bob Hinden
<bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Aaron,
>
>> On May 16, 2019, at 11:04 AM, Aaron Falk
>> <aaron.falk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me whether our standards process allows for
>> virtual-only working groups? In other words, could a working
>> group choose to stop meeting at IETF venues and only convene
>> online?
>>

> As many folks have said, this is possible and has been done.
>
> However, as a follow-on question, could there be a working
> forming BOF that is virtual?

I think the IESG gave a "yes" answer to that in response to the
discussion of draft-moonesamy-recall-rev and the formation of
the eligibility-discuss WG.  I don't know what Subramanian has
decided (or will decide) to do.  However, a different and
perhaps better answer is that, because a BOF is not prerequisite
to forming a WG, presumably a group of people could hold a
mailing list discussion, reach a conclusion that a WG was needed
and what its scope should be, and then approach appropriate ADs
and simply ask that the WG be chartered.

  john