Re: Comments on draft-roach-bis-documents-00

Hiya,

On 09/05/2019 12:49, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> A big part of the problem I see, which I see addressed by this draft, is
> that as currently constituted we can not fix many existing protocols
> without doing a major modification to address security and / or privacy
> issues.

I guess we may have different definitions of "fix":-)

I totally agree that it's not feasible to address all
legacy security and privacy issues in all bis documents.
I don't agree that bis documents ought get a free pass
wrt such issues where they exist.

> Hence the bit of text being discussed about not having DISCUSS or
> Abstain on the basis of not fixing existing security and privacy issues
> is important.
>
> ADs are free to comment, and every WG I have seen takes such comments
> seriously.  So if the AD thinks there is a simple improvement in
> security and / or privacy that ought to be included, they can ask about it.

In my little head, that is what most security/privacy DISCUSS
ballots on bis drafts tend to be. Adam's draft seems to me to
call for ADs to not ask/chat/discuss such issues, and I don't
agree with that level of non-discussion being the expectation.

Cheers,
S.