Re: [arch-d] deprecating Postel's principle- considered harmful

On May 8, 2019, at 5:48 PM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/05/2019 01:04, Joe Touch wrote:

If you think you can manage the flood by inferring it was an attack,
all you will accomplish is not protecting yourself from an
accidentally flood.
That seems to make no sense at all to me. I doubt anyone
thinks they can manage DoS attacks by just "inferring."
If they do, they deserve all they get:-)

My point is simple:

- if you’re running out of resources, do you care whether it’s a deliberate, malicious attack or just traffic that takes your site down?
- if you’re not running out of resources, what is really being attacked?

“attack” is irrelevant.

If you have resources you need to protect from over use or incorrect use, do so.

Stop trying to decide WHY; it’s enough to address HOW.

Joe