Re: [arch-d] deprecating Postel's principle- considered harmful

On May 8, 2019, at 4:55 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/8/19 7:51 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

On May 8, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don’t assume malice where incompetence can suffice.

Except that today's network is filled with deliberately malevolent entities..

All we experience are behaviors; It’s more than sufficient to react to them.

Attributing intent isn’t any more useful here than in a courtroom.

I'm fairly confident that nearly everyone who attacks a system or network finds ways to justify their actions to themselves as promoting some version of a greater good.   But if you're trying to design a robust system or network or protocol, it's probably unwise to give the attackers the benefit of the doubt

If you’re flooding my router I don’t care if you’re attacking me or misconfigured. Trying to determine the difference is a waste of time. Deal with the flood.

If you think you can manage the flood by inferring it was an attack, all you will accomplish is not protecting yourself from an accidentally flood.

What’s the point?

Joe