Re: [arch-d] deprecating Postel's principle- considered harmful

On Wed., 8 May 2019, 06:56 Barry Leiba, <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Question for ya on that Barry - do you think that MUA
> and mail server implementers would actually bounce
> messages as strictly as Martin's document might call
> for? I'm not one of those implementers, so I don't know,
> but I'd not be surprised to hear that in fact they'd
> continue to prioritise mail delivery (for non spam)
> over protocol purity.

No, of course not, not today, not with the history we have.  But if
they had *from the beginning*, we wouldn't be where we are.  And
that's the point.

Barry

If the Internet (and particularly the web) hadn't "mostly just worked" despite us doing it all wrong, it might not have taken off at all.

Cheers
Matthew Kerwin