Re: draft-moonesamy-recall-rev-01: Number of Signatures Required

On 4/22/2019 3:39 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

> Regardless of how many (or few) signatures are required, I really
> don't think it makes sense any more to use meeting attendance
> (physical or virtual) as a criterion for who can sign a petition
> [*].   I think it should be some measure of how much a person actually
> has invested in helping IETF do work, say by writing or reviewing
> documents, chairing a WG, serving on a directorate, IESG, IAB, etc.
> Those are the people who are in the best position to evaluate a recall
> petition.   IETF should pay more attention to doers than goers.
>
> Maybe we should only require 3 such people, but let them be people who
> do work.

Keith, you are almost making an argument for seniority, as in "pick
people who are senior enough to have chaired a WG, be nominated to join
a directorate, served in the IESG or IAB." I have no doubt that you will
find people there who are committed to the IETF, but we might have a
problem if only the IETF elite participates in the nomcom or is allowed
to sign petitions against other members of the elite.

-- Christian Huitema