Re: 118

Le 17/04/2019 à 18:03, Joel M. Halpern a écrit :
Your earlier text included the line:

"A MAC address SHOULD be of length 48 decimal."

Even if the SHOULD were not capitalized, that would look like an effort in this document to specify the length of a MAC address.  With the capitalization, it appears even more strongly to be such an effort.

One of your suggestions removed that text, which would be a good way to resolve this problem.  Eric's question is based on the text you sent, which is taken directly from the document.

Understood. I will remove the phrase telling MAC SHOULD be 48.

(one remark though. Some Windows people call a MAC address something else than what IEEE defines to be a MAC address. For example, they create a MAC identifier that has nothing to do with an interface; that is unique across all Microsoft machines; it is useful for new devices like my new tablet having no RJ45 but tracked by my IT dept by a MAC address and disallowed to use WiFi; I forgot the name of that MAC address; it is called 'MAC something address'; it may be visible in BIOS; it is 48bit length).

Alex

Yours,
Joel