Re: link-local text (Re: [Int-dir] Intdir early review of draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-34)

Le 12/04/2019 à 20:36, 神明達哉 a écrit :
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 6:59 AM Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alexandre.petrescu@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 >    The fe80::/10 word was removed.

So I've just checked draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-38.  It now
reads:

    A subnet is formed by the external 802.11-OCB interfaces of vehicles
    that are in close range (not by their in-vehicle interfaces).  This
    subnet MUST use at least the link-local prefix and the interfaces
    MUST be assigned IPv6 address(es) of type link-local.

Given that the use of non-0 values in the intermediate 54 bits of
link-local addresses is now out of scope of this specification, I
don't see the purpose of the second sentence. >
"the interfaces MUST be assigned IPv6 address(es) of type link-local"
is redundant, since it's already a part of the very basic
specification of IPv6 addressing architecture (second paragraph of
RFC4291 Section 2.1).

True, RFC4291 sec. 2.1 says that all interfaces must have at least one link-local address. But (1) it does not use CAPITALS to require something and (2) it does not require the link-local prefix to be on the interface.

One can assign just an address to an interface, without specifying the prefix. In that case, a plen is assumed to be 128. If one assigns fe80::1 (dont specify plen) on one computer, but assigns fe80::2/64 (specify the plen) on another computer, then there are risks of interoperability. In some cases, because of that lack of specifying the prefix, it wont ping.

Dont you think we should require that the link-local prefix must be assigned to each interface? (in addition to requiring the ll address).

According to a previous conversation, perhaps
it tries to re-emphasize the already-existing requirement?

Yes - continue to require LL addresses like 4291 does, but also the LL prefix, which 4291 does not do.

In that
case, I think it better belongs to Section 4.3, since the requirement
of having a link-local address is not a requirement on a subnet, but
on an interface.

It is a requirement to put a prefix (also known as a subnet) .

  I'd suggest revising the first paragraph of Section
4.3 as follows:

    There are several types of IPv6 addresses [RFC4291], [RFC4193], that
    MAY be assigned to an 802.11-OCB interface.  Among these types of
    addresses, the interface MUST at least have one link-local IPv6
    unicast address as specified in [RFC4291].  Only those link-local
    addresses MAY be formed using an EUI-64 identifier, in particular
    during transition time.

Thanks for the suggestion.  But it does not say 'link-local prefix'.

And, beyond this obvious requirement, it's not clear to me what this
means: "This subnet MUST use at least the link-local prefix".  Perhaps
it also tries to say this must be a single-link subnet (so all nodes
in the subnet can communicate each either directly using their
link-local addresses)?  If so, it's better to say so explicitly, e.g:

    A subnet is formed by the external 802.11-OCB interfaces of vehicles
    that are in close range (not by their in-vehicle interfaces).  This
    MUST be a single-like subnet.  It means that all nodes in the

single-link?

    subnet must be able to communicate directly using their link-local
    unicast addresses.

Sounds reasonable. Multi-link subnets were not assumed here, and when not assuming them I suspect the subnets are exclusively single-link.

I never heard the term single-link subnet?

I could put the text as you suggest, but I am afraid to write about single-link subnets: they are all like that, I think.

(multilink subnets: I have never seen them in vehicular networks).

Alex

If there's no such special intention, I'd suggest just removing the
second sentence (with moving the requirement of having a LL address to
Section 4.3).

--
JINMEI, Tatuya