Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-25

Russ Housley via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Section 1 says:

    >    ... This document clarifies examples that intend to illustrate the
    > result of the normative language in RFC8200 and RFC6553.  In other
    > words, the examples are intended to be normative explanation of the
    > results of executing that language.

    > This set the wrong expectation for me.  What the document seems to be
    > doing is aligning with the recent normative change in RFC8200.  The
    > alignment could lead to a flag day, and this document suggests a way to
    > avoid a flag day.  It goes through a whole bunch of use cases to
    > illustrate the updates.

So, the actual order of operations was more like:
    - we aren't following 2460, so let's write down the right rules
    - oh, look, 2460bis is happening, can we get the rules changed?
    - cool, it happened, now what does that mean.

So I'll try to fix the text to match what a reader would now expect.
Can you help with that paragraph? How about:

    } This document provides a series of examples that align RFC6553
    } with the recent changes in processing described in RFC8200.  In other
    } words, the examples are intended to be normative explanation of the
    } results of executing that language.
    } Existing deployed networks may experience a flag day as a result of
    } some of the suggested changes, and this document provides a way
    } to mitigate such an occurance.

    > Nits:

    > In Table 6, please move some of the whitespace on the right to the
    > first column to avoid so many words being split across lines.

I don't think we control the table formatting, xml2rfc does.
I'll see if I can do something about that.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-