Re: I-D Action: draft-moonesamy-recall-rev-00.txt

Brian,

Most of your points have already been addressed (and the two of
you and others should certainly continue that conversation) but
I want to make some observations on text for which I'm probably
responsible, especially text that was probably carried forward
from draft-klensin-recall-rev, and to add a few comments as an
individual.

--On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 17:26 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with the general idea of lowering the bar for recall
> petitions. But some of the discussion seems to overlook that
> it's an extreme measure, and one that should normally be made
> unnecessary by the regular appeal chain.

Certainly for some cases, yes.  But I think we need to keep one
important distinction between the appeals process and recalls in
mind.  Our theory about appeals has mostly been that they are
more of a "I think you folks got this decision wrong, possibly
because you did not consider these issues, please think about it
again".  That is reflected in the fact that the first procedural
step (or even pre-step) in a repeal is always to go back to the
people most involved in the decision and ask that they rethink
it.   There is no necessary implication of bad behavior or bad
motives and we try to avoid that.   The first step is never to
go directly to a higher body and to ask them to change the
decision.  Indeed, if an appeal of an IESG action ends up with
the IAB, the IAB still cannot change the decision; it can only
strongly encourage the IESG to reconsider.  In retrospect, maybe
we should have called the process "reconsideration initiation"
rather than "appeal", but the former does not drop easily off
the tongue.

Recalls, by contrast, are directed at one or more individuals
over some category of bad (or non-performing) behavior and are
definitely an appeal (sic) to a different authority to overrule
someone's staying in office.  Consider:

o Someone has stopped performing, disappears, and doesn't
respond to stimuli.  Nothing to appeal.  Probably we need a
better way to cope with that then the appeals process if only
because the length of time needed to get signatures together,
organize a recall committee, have it meet and agree to the
obvious might be better spent with getting someone into the
position, but that issue is outside the scope of this I-D.

o Someone in a leadership position is consistently behaving
badly in the decisions they are making, but in a way that is not
really an appropriate topic for the ombudsteam.  In many cases,
this could be dealt with by one appeal, per incident, until the
person involved either resigns or the other members of the
relevant body resort to physical violence, but appeals, beyond a
certain point, are really not the right answer if the person
doesn't get the point after a very few of them.

o Someone in a leadership body is, as the saying goes,
consistently not playing well with other children to the point
of impeding that body's work or, perhaps, is suffering from
conflicts of interest that the other members of the body can
override but that are consistently blocking or impeding
progress.  Some versions of this problem might be a topic for
the ombudsteam; many are not.  Because the bad behavior may not
show up directly in decisions, appeals may not be feasible or
relevant.   This, incidentally, is one of the reasons why
members of the leadership body should be able to initiate
recalls.

>  If we make recalls
> *too* easy we might be upset by the amount of distraction they
> would cause.

And that is why the shift from "anyone can initiate" to the
current rules occurred.

 Some specific comments follow:

>> Abstract
>>
>>    The procedures for initiating a recall specified in RFC
>>    7437 restrict signatories to those who are "nomcom
>>    qualified".  This document suggests those limitations were
>>    unanticipated and undesirable side- effects and proposes
>>    to remove them.
>
> I think the second sentence is untrue,

I think the sentence was a carryover from
draft-klensin-recall-rev-00 and the associated discussions
(around 2005).    Those discussions, such as they were, made it
very clear that the exclusion of IESG and IAB members by the
nomcom-eligibility rule came as a surprise to a significant
number of people.  Hence "unanticipated side effect".    It
almost certainly does need work for the current draft.

> There are several other places in the Introduction and the
> Rationale where there is a similar issue - if this text is a
> BCP that changes the procedure, all references to the old
> procedure need to be written in the past tense.

IMO, it has been ambiguous for decades whether I-Ds that are
intended to evolve into BCP (or other action-specifying) RFCs
should be written in future tense (because the action is still a
proposal and fixed by the RFC Editor) or past (because the
action will have occurred by the time the document is
published).  If we are going to complain to authors about that,
it is probably time that the IESG and RFC Editor (and, by the
way, IANA) make and publicize a policy) rather than beating up
on authors episodically.

> Joke alert: maybe one's position on the "Narten list" should
> determine eligibility.

I'd be happy to increase both my number of messages and their
length if you
think that would help, or help make the above point :-)

> But, as above: how do we verify remote participation, and why
> not qualify people who have simply submitted drafts or been
> active on mailing lists during the last two years?

I think any simple rule one picks will turn out to generate
hypothetical cases in which it might be pathological.
Remembering that someone (or a company) can buy their way into
Nomcom eligibility by paying to come to the meeting, register,
and then do nothing of any use to the IETF or anyone else (doing
email, playing tourist, going to the beach,...).  One could make
a case for remote participants being forced to actually get onto
at least some Meetecho sessions as a participant to qualify, but
suppose an equivalent qualification were imposed on f2f
participants, e.g., by requiring signing a few blue sheets.  If
someone is included to game the f2f process, they either sign
the blue sheets and leave the room or sign them and then sit and
do email.   Similarly, nothing prevents me from signing onto
Meetecho as a participant and then leaving the computer running
while I heard for the nearest bar or other facility.  My guess
is that we need to use some mechanism that prevents several
people from getting upset about a particular event, meeting the
petition qualifications, and initiating a recall.   Almost
anything that requires several instances of contact over a year
or more should be sufficient to demonstrate at least token
longer-term involvement.  Trying to pin things down much more
than that is likely, IMO, to descend into enough edge cases and
odd situations to not be worth the trouble.

best,
   john