Re: Finding the appropriate work stream for draft-nottingham-for-the-users

If IETF is serious about considering [the needs of] end users as its primary concern, it needs to be wider in scope than just informing technical decisions by working groups.  For instance, IETF has a decades-long history of holding meetings, and making appointments, in such a way as to favor those with large travel budgets.   Those who fund such individuals (which tend to be large corporations and sometimes governments) cannot be said to represent the interests of users first and foremost.  And even if the individuals who participate have often made a considerable good-faith effort to do that, I've also seen exceptions to that.

I'm not saying that this is an easy problem to address, or that efforts to address this problem have not been made.   There are indeed ways of participating in IETF on the cheap, sometimes effectively.   But anytime you hear anyone in a privileged position claim to represent the interests of ordinary people, your BS meter should register a significant deflection.  If we really wanted to conduct our deliberations in such a way as to consider the interests of end users as our primary concern (as opposed to just telling ourselves that), we'd have to make fairly drastic changes in how we operate.   Offhand I have a hard time imagining what that would look like.  And I wouldn't expect to reverse ~25 years of inertia overnight.   But we could probably do better than we are doing.

Anyway, you asked about which stream.   To me it seems clear that, for any result of such discussion to carry weight and actually affect how we operate, it needs to be an IETF consensus document - thus BCP and not IAB stream.

Keith