Re: Internet Society staff and IETF

John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrotes:
    > In particular, if that company responded to a solicitation by
    > saying "The IETF LLC and any related foundations have asked us
    > for a significant contribution.  We think the IETF is important
    > and we will supply it but to avoid any doubt that we are trying
    > to buy undue influence, we will prohibit any of our employees
    > from serving on the IAB or member of any standing IAB Program,
    > IESG or as a WG Chair, LLC Board, or as Trustees of the IETF
    > Trust", the IETF would be in big trouble, especially if one
    > company's making that move caused other companies to seriously
    > consider it.  Getting from the Internet Society relationship and
    > policy to something like that would take a giant step, perhaps
    > several of them, but such steps are not unheard of.

I will note that ISOC employees *can* author documents and be WG chairs, but
that it needs a clear acknowledgement from the AD responsible.
I think that it's okay that ISOC employees can't serve on the IESG or IAB.

If in the future we create a system where there is funding support for
IESG/IAB members that comes through ISOC (even if via IETF LLC), then we need
to revisit this.  And I note that this is an *ISOC* policy, not an IETF one.

I am glad that ISOC employees won't consider themselves nomcom-eligible.
There haven't been any issues so far, but it seemed weird.
I guess if a nomcom voting member becomes an ISOC employee during their term,
someone will have to think about this, but I think we can let that go.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-