Re: Adi Shamir denied entry to the US

On 8/3/19 05:26, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Hi Lars and Mikael,
>
>> On 8 Mar 2019, at 09:14, Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:lars@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-3-8, at 9:50, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:swmike@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>> I'd like to point out that Daniel Stenberg (curl main developer)
>>> seems to be unable to make it to USA as well:
>>>
>>> https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2018/07/28/administrative-purgatory/
>>>
>>> I don't know how often he attends IETF meetings in person though.
>>
>> He's certainly participating in QUIC. We run the locations of our
>> interim meetings by the list for exactly that reason.
>>

> That’s not good, clearly.  We *also* have some text in the mtgvenue
> document that states the following:
>
>    Furthermore, it may be appropriate for the IASA to assist those who,
>    as a result, have been inconvenienced in some way.
>
> We have had government officials offer consular guidance and assistance
> in the past.  What I would suggest is that anyone who believes they are
> going to have entry problems for one of our meetings let Portia know.

That's hard to know much in advance: if you need a visa, you may face
"preliminar" problems at that stage.. and, at least strictly speaking,
no matter the visa, it all depends on the officer at border control.

While this same logic applies to all places, when there are evident
problems even at the visa stage, I'm not sure that there are many
options other than avoiding problematic locations, unfortunately.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks