Re: Secdir last call review of draft-nottingham-rfc5785bis-08

Hi all,
On one specific issue raised by Kathleen:

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019, at 11:30 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Hi Kathleen,
>
> Thanks for the thorough review. Responses below.
>

> > On 31 Jan 2019, at 3:28 am, Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 (snip)

> > 7. Section 5.1 second paragraph has the following text:
> >
> >   Well-known URIs are registered on the advice of one or more experts
> >   (appointed by the IESG or their delegate), with a Specification
> >   Required (using terminology from [RFC8126]).
> >
> > This should read as follows according to RFC8126 section 5.2.1:
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8126#section-5.2.1
> >
> >   Well-known URIs are registered on the advice of one or more experts
> >   (appointed by the IESG), with a Specification
> >   Required (using terminology from [RFC8126]).
> >
> > There's no provision for the IESG to delegate assignment of an expert.  IESG
> > member often consult working group chairs and experts, but the assignment is
> > currently performed by the IESG unless RFC8126 gets updated.
>
> My understanding is that this level of detail is unnecessary in the
> registering document, as the IESG has the power to delegate naturally.
> If this needs to be specified explicitly, that should be done in a
> revision of RFC8126 section 5.2.1, not here.

Mark, I think you are actually agreeing that the part "or their delegate" can be deleted, as this can happen naturally during IESG deliberations. While nothing prevents IESG from asking a third party to pick an expert, IESG has never done this and the final authority to decide stays with IESG.

Best Regards,
Alexey