Re: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-extra-sieve-fcc-08

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the answer. It helps indeed. It would help better if this is documented with one paragraph in the text of the document. While developers know well the details, users and operators may be less familiar with these.

Regards,

Dan

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 1:05 PM Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your review.

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, at 9:30 AM, Dan Romascanu wrote:
> Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
> Review result: Has Issues
>
> The document extends the Sieve Email Filtering Language [RFC5228] by providing
> a number of action commands, some of which can generate additional messages of
> behalf of the user. It is a clear document, its target being developers and
> users of the protocol. I liked the fact that the authors included a
> 'Compatibility with Other Actions' section that describes the interoperability
> with existing deployed versions of the protocol, as well as the inclusion of a
> temporary section about Implementation Status. I am missing however some
> information about possible impact of the new action commands on deployment and
> operations on servers already in operation. I assume that scalability and
> compatibility between older and newer versions (including or not the new
> defined commands) were assessed, but this is not documented.

As :fcc is controlled by Sieve extension mechanism, Sieve scripts need to be updated before :fcc can be used. This means that either users need to manually update scripts and/or implementations that would use :fcc automatically need to be updated.
So older (nonextended) implementations are not affected by this extension.

Does this help or did I miss the point you are trying to convey?

Thank you,
Alexey