Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-03.txt> (Packet Delivery Deadline time in 6LoWPAN Routing Header) to Proposed Standard

I agree with specifying time semantics with more details as Tal suggested (see below),

Furthermore, I suggest that we can add another delivery deadline time known as the interval time. The interval time is the maximum time before another packet of the same type as the received one from the same originator should be received. IMO it can be more useful in LLNs, as it can be useful in MANETs [RFC5497].

So suggest the draft replaces 'packet delivery deadline' with 'packet delivery validity time', so that there can be two 'delivery deadlines' of 6LoWPAN routing header packets, one is the validity time and the second is interval time (or maybe one of them can be optional).

AB

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 3:02 PM Tal Mizrahi <tal.mizrahi.phd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Suresh, authors,

>> I would suggest to follow the timestamp specification template of Section
>> 3 in draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-05.

>I think the semantics of the DT and OT fields are a bit different from the
>NTP packet timestamps and there are also resource constraints in the
>6lo world that might make the 64 bit formats expensive. I will let the
>authors and the WG comment further on this.

I agree that the NTP timestamp format does not fit here.
My comment was that DT and OT should be defined according to the timestamp specification template (section 3 in the packet timestamp draft).
This is a *generic template* for defining all kinds of timestamp formats.
The template was defined in order to make sure that when you define a timestamp format you do not forget important details.
Just to clarify, I am not suggesting to change the timestamp formats of DT and OT, but only to specify them in a clear and unambiguous manner.

Thanks,
Tal.