VAT on IETF 104 Registration

Do any other European companies know the position WRT to VAT on the IETF registration fees?

It seems that in some circumstances the Czech supplier does not need to charge VAT if  the  VAT registration number of the purchaser is provided.

The IETF form asks for a VAT number which I provided, but I was still charged VAT.

There are some suggestions on the web that I need to ask the IETF to cancel and refund the registration and get them to submit an invoice without VAT included for me to pay.

Any VAT experts out there?

Stewart