Re: [EXTERNAL] T-shirts and possible TF overreach??

Glenn,

Thanks for the explanation.   It does, however, suggest some
other things (partially as input to the upcoming retreat and
partially for the Nomcom and IESG as the appoint Trustees -- I
hope they are listening):

(1) Your explanation suggests that the Trustees need to be
considerably more expert on these issues than the typical IETF
participant.   I don't have any problems with that, but it
should affect who volunteers and how Trustees are selected from
the volunteer pool.

(2) To the extent to which, under IASA 2.0, the IETF Trust is
really expected to operate independently of the IETF LLC, even
if it is generally assumed that some coordination will be
needed), popping this into the LLC retreat agenda raises several
questions.   In particular, why is this a matter for the LLC
Board at this point rather than something for which the LLC
should await a recommendation from the Trustees?   The agenda
item seems to be only about the "IETF Café press store", an
entity that I did not know existed and for which a quick search
did not find any evidence of an existing contract (it may be
there; I just couldn't find it).  In any event, if the
discussion is just about the store, it wouldn't seem to involve
the Trust-related questions about what designs the store can
sell, which means it may not be germane to most of this
conversation.  Then, given your explanation of the reasons for
this retreat before a relatively more final Board (and Trustees)
are seated, is this topic sufficiently urgent that it must be
taken up immediately?  The answer may well be "yes" (e.g., if
there were a contract and it was about to expire), but I don't
think we have heard that explanation.

(3) The difference in expected expertise between Trustees and
ordinary IETF participants together with what you explain as the
difference between the vocabulary used in speaking casually to
one another versus when speaking in more specific legal meanings
suggests that the Trustees have considerable responsibility to
speak clearly to IETF participants and to educate the rest of us
about the issues.  I suggest that the IAD/IAOC/Trust under the
original IASA structure did a fairly poor job of that.   If we,
including the incoming Trustees, can learn from this event and
do much better along those educational and comprehensible
transparency dimensions, it will be a significant step forward.

best,
    john

p.s. While IANAL and you / the Trustees should certainly discuss
this with appropriate Counsel, my understanding is that you
could authorize exact reproduction (or exact reproduction with
the addition of a copyright or other IPR notice) of a complete
t-shirt that happened to include an IETF logo without creating
trademark issues with that logo.  That would presumably raise no
issues about rights to use copyrighted images that the original/
first batch didn't have unless there were specific licenses
associated with that use.  My mentioning the possible analogy to
exact reproduction of RFCs was not an accident (and I hope the
Trust is looking carefully at the RFC situation as the format
evolves from a single presentation for which "exact
reproduction" is clear into a more variable situation).

--On Monday, December 10, 2018 21:42 +0000 "Deen, Glenn