Re: [OPSEC] [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-06

Gert,

On 2018-12-06 22:13, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 01:48:29PM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> And I don't think that is an oversight. The *definition* of "router"
>> for IPv6 is "a node that forwards IPv6 packets not explicitly addressed
>> to itself." No mention of filtering, classification, admission control,...
>
> This definition of a router is nice, but such a device will not be
> useful in today's Internet.

Are you saying that *every* router in a carrier network needs to
perform filtering? I would have thought that this would be done
where necessary, but intentionally avoided elsewhere, to reduce
energy consumption and improve throughput. Anyway...

> What do you want this draft to be?  Theoretically beautiful, or useful
> for people operating outside a closed and well-controlled network?

I wasn't actually thinking about this draft; I was just trying to make
the (obvious) point that IPv6 was designed a certain way and that is
what the IPv6 standards track documents deal with. This draft is directed
at the operational community and I fully agree with you that it needs
to match operational reality as much as possible. (My issues with the
draft were fixed before it moved to IETF Last Call.)

   Brian