Re: game over, EH [Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-06]

Hiya,

On 06/12/2018 00:14, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Just to point out that this is equivalent to saying "game over, any
> new layer 4 protocol" too. For example, you just killed SCTP. And the
> same goes for new protocols over IPv4.
Well, there is port 443 and quic etc.

While I don't have a position in the discussion so far, it
does seem to validate the proposition that encrypting as a
counter to ossification is a valid (but not the only valid)
argument.

Interestingly, this discussion could be read to imply that
encrypting transports like quic may better support higher
throughput networks with fast-path routers (where anything
other than fast-path is basically /dev/null) by taking some
models of DPI off the table. That somewhat sharply contrasts
with arguments against such encrypting transports that I've
seen offered by operators. I'm not claiming this is a winning
argument, nor anything like one, but perhaps noteworthy.

Cheers,
S.