Re: [OPSEC] Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-06.txt> (Recommendations on the Filtering of IPv6 Packets Containing IPv6 Extension Headers) to Informational RFC

Bob Hinden wrote on 26/11/2018 22:49:
> I wonder if this is something the IETF needs to tell operators.
> Based on the discussion, I suspect it is not.

Probably not :-)

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:10 PM Nick Hilliard replied:
> The draft is useful and should be published with Brian's and Mike's
> wording suggestions: some operators will read it and use it to inform
> themselves.

Indeed, I think that the document does a pretty good job of setting
forth operational impacts of filtering policies, and that (rather than
any specific filtering advice) is where most of the utility lies.

> It's also useful to document how protocol specification choices can
> cause implementation difficulties.

That would be a good thing to document. However, since the document
is aimed at operators, not equipment implementors, that would
probably be considered out of scope.

Thanks,

Mike Heard